Broccoli Cheese Soup (feeds 5-6 people)
½ Chopped Onion
½ C Butter (plus a small amount for the onion)
½ C Flour
5 C water
5 Chicken Bullion Cubes
4 C Half and Half
1 C Shredded Carrots
2 ½ C Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
3 C Chopped Broccoli
Salt, Pepper and Nutmeg to taste
- Saute onion in a small amount of melted butter until transparent, set aside.
- In a large pot, make a roux using butter and flour. Melt butter first and then add flour while stirring.
- Add in half and half, continue stirring. It helps to use a wisk so you can easily dissolve the roux with the liquid.
- Add water and bullion cubes, salt, pepper and nutmeg, simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in carrots, onions and broccoli. Simmer on low for 20 min or until all vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cheese until melted and serve